Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Homemade Iced Coffee & Sweet Cream



I begin today's post with a quote from my twin brother, Eric. He LOVES his coffee and says this often. I thought it was an appropriate introduction to my Homemade Iced Coffee and Sweet Cream recipe. 

I know this is a bit out of season for some of my readers. It is February and freezing here in Minne-soota so many of you might not be thinking of iced drinks (maybe you are more interested in my Homemade Vanilla-Caramel Latte)

However, in my desperate thoughts of summer, my iced coffee drink sneaks into my mind. I yearn for warmth and sunshine and let me tell you, there is nothing more magical then the warm morning Minnesota sun in July. I can see it now. Sitting on my cement steps in front of my tired old farm house after a morning run with my delightfully cold iced coffee in hand just soaking up the vitamin D with my jogging partner, Gus Gus.

....

Back to reality.

Okay, back to the iced coffee recipe. So in order to make your lovely iced coffee base you have to start with cold brew coffee. You can make cold brew coffee with a french press but if you don't have the funds to go and buy one you can make it on your own with nothing but ground coffee and water. 

So here is what you need to make your Cold Brew Coffee
  • A cup of ground coffee (any flavor you prefer)
  • A quart mason jar
  • Filtered or Distilled water


  

Pour your ground coffee into your mason jar and add enough water to fill it up to the top of the jar. I always leave a little head room at the top. Place the lid on the jar and give it a little shake to make sure that all the coffee grounds get mixed in with the water. 

 

Let the mixture sit for at least 12 hours. If you want a stronger brew, then leave it longer. I have let it sit for up to 24 hours (I forgot about it ;-) and it was very strong but if you like a stout cup then you will be just fine. 

After 12 hours filter the mixture through a strainer lined with a coffee filter. There is nothing I loath more then stray coffee grounds in my coffee so I run my coffee though the strainer a few times.


 This process takes a little time so you may want to find something to do while it is straining. Staring at it actually makes the process longer. 

You can, however, work on your sweet cream while you are waiting on your straining coffee. So, lets get started on that! 

What you need for you Sweet Cream: 
  • 1 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 12 oz. can of evaporated milk 

Wal-Mart generic. That's how I roll.

Combine your two ingredients and shake well to combine.

  
Alright, back to the coffee. Your cold brew should be strained by now and ready to go. 

Aren't they beauteous?

After all of that, you are so excited to try your iced coffee, arn't you?! I am exited for you! Yay!

Fill your cup with your desired amount of ice.

 
Add your cold brew coffee. This is all personal preference. If you like a stronger coffee flavor add more coffee to your cup. If you want a sweeter drink then add less coffee. I fill mine about 2/3 to 3/4 full of cold brew coffee.


Next, you add your sweet cream.

Isn't it pretty?
 That is pretty much it. Stir and enjoy and imagine it is 84° and sunny.


I don't condone the drinking of excessive caffeine drinks by a toddler but he steals my coffee and drinks it all. :-/


Thanks for stopping, enjoy sipping, and God Bless!
  

4 comments:

  1. Definitely consider that which you said. Your favorite justification seemed
    to be at the net the simplest factor to be mindful
    of. I say to you, I definitely get irked while other people
    consider concerns that they just do not understand about.
    You controlled to hit the nail upon the highest as neatly as defined out the entire thing with no need side effect , folks can take
    a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks

    Feel free to visit my blog - pure green coffee

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover